|Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) is a land use pattern and development style with unique characteristics, based on the proximity and relationship of property to a transit facility, such as a light rail station. Special regulations and plans are developed to take advantage of the development potential in the area surrounding a transit facility.
- Four light rail DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) stations in Richardson:
Spring Valley, Arapaho Center, Galatyn Park, and CityLine/Bush
- A potential station, adjacent to the University of Texas at Dallas on the Cotton Belt line, is being planned as part of the Cotton Belt Rail project which will extend DART's light rail service to DFW International Airport
Richardson currently has 9 TOD/Mixed-Use developments:
- Alexan Central- currently under construction on the west side of CityLine/Bush station with 5-story, 351 units with ground floor retail. Another 850 units will be added in the future.
- Brick Row - 500 unit multi-family complex and 150 owner/occupied townhome development abuts the Spring Valley DART Station.
- Amli Galatyn Station - 235 unit complex across from Galatyn Park DART Station.
- Eastside - 450 unit multi-family and retail w/14 restaurants, a10-minute walk between Galatyn Park or Arapaho DART Station via connecting hike/bike trails.
- CityLine - 2 million-square-foot mixed-used development between Bush DART Station and Plano Rd. anchored by State Farm Insurance (8,000 employees) and 935 upscale apartments
- GreenVue - a 400-unit apartment urban-style complex on Collins Blvd at Alma Road, just north of the Arapaho DART Station.
- Palisades Village- a mixed use development with residential, office and retail on west side of US 75 across from Galatyn DART station has 600 upscale apartments and 100 single family homes currently under construction.
- Jefferson at Galatyn Park- a JPI multi-family development with 380 units on N Glenville Rd at Galatyn Parkway within walking distance of the Galatyn Station
- The Mallory Eastside- with 280 multi-family units to be followed by The Mallory II & III with another 500 units, connecting trails to Arapaho Center Station.
- $140 million development opened in 2007.
- Adjacent to Spring Valley DART station
- Townhome portion of the development- 175 homes- was completed in 2016.
- 500 new upscale loft-style apartments: leasing has been extremely strong - over 95%
- For Sale townhomes by CB JENI Homes ($240,000K+)
- Development features 2-acre McKamy Springs Park between the townhomes and apartments, surrounding the historic McKamy Springs (ancient Indian watering spring) and hike and bike trails
- 11,000 square feet of retail space currently available along Spring Valley, has a pedestrian-friendly layout for restaurants, office and retail services.
- Retail tenants include: Sababa Mediterranean Grill, Tuscany Italian Bistro, Brick Row Dental. Space available: contact Joey Keffler, The Weitzman Group
|TOD/Mixed-Use Development: Eastside
- $90 million development by Skyrise Properties and Greenway Investments, completed in 2009
- Located 1/2 mile between the Arapaho and Galatyn Park DART Stations
- Post Eastside: 450 high-end, loft style apartment homes, built/managed by Post Properties - 95% leased with
ground floor retail leased by City Commercial
- 35,000 SF of new office space
- 165,000 SF existing office building and parking garage
- 90,000 SF of retail and restaurants.
- 1 acre park with amphitheater, splash fountain and pedestrian walks, outside dining venues
- Now under construction, The Mallory Eastside with 280 apartments and an additional 500 units for Phase II & III.
Shops at Eastside Restaurant Tenants
- Bawarchi Biryani Point
- Chiloso Mexican Bistro
- Jersey Mike's Subs
- Mena's Tex-Mex Grill
- Panera Bread
- Pho Crimson
- Russo's Coal Fired Italian Kitchen
- Sweet Mix Desserts
- Tiff's Treats
- Twisted Root Burger Co.
- Urban Eatz
- Wicked Po-Boys
- Yoshi Shabu-Shabu
- Yumilicious Frozen Yogurt
TOD Development: AMLI Galatyn Station (formerly The Venue)
- $35 million upscale mid-rise apartment development by Legacy Partners. Purchased by Amli Group in Nov. 2011 with 235 units
- Adjacent to Galatyn Park DART Station - no park station, drop off only - Galatyn Shuttle bus service is available to pick up and drop off at nearby office buildings morning and afternoon.
- Across the street from Eisemann Center for Performing Arts , Bank of America Financial Services campus
- Opened in 2008, now 95% leased
- 2nd generation restaurant space available.
To learn more about the City of Richardson’s TOD/Mixed-Use Developments with maps and details on the planned developments at each station go to Transit-Oriented Development.